The cancel button RESPONDS (i.e., gets "pressed" in looking), but never does anything. Steam used to work on my PC too, so it might have been a WINE update that broke it. Before I run Steam, I just do a "sudo killall moblock", and it's fixed. (Make sure you have your firewall turned off as well...) Uchihakid23: You'll want to open up a terminal, and then change directories to the directory where you installed Steam to.
However, last night I had an epiphany and I fixed my "Updating Steam..." / "0%" problem: I disabled moblock.
It's worth noting that this is a well discussed issue with no official solutions available, there are plenty of different suggestions on how this can be fixed though and some of these work for some of the people experiencing the problem some of the time, so you'll want to try all of them if you really want to stop Steam from verifying every time you start it.
This issue can be exacerbated by anti-virus/internet security applications blocking Steam from doing what it wants to and reading all of Steam's files as the Steam application attempts to verify them.
If you are at an office or shared network, you can ask the network administrator to run a scan across the network looking for misconfigured or infected devices.
I just updated my company's website to a single page application architecture using Angular and UI-Router.
Sometimes these user permissions break and need to be refreshed.
Steam will always check for updates on startup and download and install them automatically to ensure that you're running the latest version.
I had to open a console and run "cedega Steam Install.exe," rather than using the UI, but that doesn't matter: Steam installed... This screen seemingly uses 100% CPU indefinitely, and nothing, not even the cancel button have any effect.
) After the install, Steam immediately launches itself and goes to a "Updating Steam..." screen. If you installed Steam in the default directory, you'll want to open a terminal and type the following into it: With the debian packages from net this will cause troubles. (Otherwise the iptables rules still exist and send traffic to moblock which is no more running. Instead of stopping noblock you can also remove the "steam" lines from the blocklist or whitelist the blocked IPs (see what is blocked in /var/log/moblock.log).
Try adding exceptions in these applications for your Steam folder and restart Steam to see if this resolves your issue.
If you are a member of the Steam beta program, it might be worthwhile opting out of the beta program and reverting to a previous version of Steam (it should do this automatically) to see if this resolves your problem.